Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Moment To Catch My Breath

Several weeks have now passed since I've put thoughts down in this blog. I have every intention of writing at least every couple of days, but you know how it goes with the best laid intentions. . .


My work travel schedule has been a nightmare, and I've been so consumed with that pesky day job that the things I enjoy most and consider most important, like writing about our freedom, have had to take a back seat. If I just didn't have to attend to all those little annoyances like paying the mortgage and feeding the family, perhaps I could focus more on what I want. Here's a thought, maybe the government could step in and take care of those things for me! Just think, if I couldn't pay my mortgage, maybe the government could just force the bank to change the terms of my loan and keep me in my house. It doesn't seem fair that other people can stay in their homes, just because they choose to work for their living. Then I could get foodstamps to cover the grocery bill, medicaid to cover our healthcare (until we get a universal government option), and then I could file for an unemployment check to pay for the remaining necessities that I am entitled to, like sattelite TV, a cell phone for each family member, and, of course, high-speed internet service so I can do my blogging! Its the new American Dream. . .


Okay, I'm obviously being sarcastic, but how sad that there are so many who agree with such an irresponsible and unfortunate perspective on life.


While I've been on the road so much recently, there has been a lot bouncing around in my little pea brain. There are a number of blog posts I have up there waiting to make it on to the page. Airplane reading always tends to send my brain into hyperdrive and I end up with so many thoughts I want to put down on paper, but too seldom find the time to actually do it. I'll get to them all eventually. . . I hope.


But before I subject you all to a massive brain dump, I thought I'd use this post to share a few of the sources that have been causing my neurons to fire.


Over the past year I have been working on building a "Freedom Library". This is a collection of books that outline some of the very best information, and provide clear thinking on the topics of freedom, liberty, and the destiny of our nation. I've been truly inspired as I've sought out these books and feel blessed that I've been able to be taught by brilliant men and women who have shared their knowledge and insights through their writing.


In the tradition of David Letterman, and because I usually find time to blog in late night hours, here's my Late Night Top Ten List of what I consider to be the best books in my freedom library.


#10- Stand Fast By Our Constitution by J. Reuben Clark.

In addition to being an apostle and member of the first presidency, J. Reuben Clark served as under-secretary of state and U.S. Ambassador to Mexico. Few men in the past century have been more knowledgable and passionat about our constitution. This book gives insight into a brilliant mind that understands the freedoms we enjoy, and clearly sees the threats to our way of life. He provides particular insight into foreign policy imperatives and pitfalls.
available at amazon.com starting at $14.98

#9- The 5,ooo Year Leap by W. Cleon Skousen.
This book has taken on a new life over the past couple of years as more people have become interested in our national heritage. After years of research and study of the founding of our nation and our constitution, Skousen has distilled the fundamentals upon which our nation was founded down to 28 key principles. Understanding these principles gives tremendous insight into what has made America the greatest nation in history.
available for just $5 per copy, contact me directly if you're interested

#8- Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg.
This is not the easiest read on the list, but is fascinating in its ability to tell the story of progressivism in America. The general assertion made in this book is that fascism, often taught as being the far right end of the political spectrum, is really a direct product of the left. Goldberg chronicles the most infamous fascist governments in modern history, including Mussolini and Hitler, and then shows how the roots of these movements are eerily similar in nature to the fundamentals of progressivism in early 20th century America. Since many on the left today, including President Obama, have picked up the torch of Teddy Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, FDR and other past progressive leaders, it is important to understand the premise of progressive philosophy and view what is inevitably found at the end of the progressive road. This is one of the books that really got me concerned with current trends and incited me to dig deeper into our founding principles, and how severly the nation is departing from these fundamentals. available on amazon.com starting at $11.00


#7- Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levin.

This book is much newer, so deals with contemporary issues in the news over the past year. The greatest benefit of this book, in my opinion, is how clearly it draws a line between the right and left on the modern political spectrum. If you want to have a clearer picture of what it means to be conservative and what it means to be liberal, this book is one to read. Levin outlines the difference between the statist view, those who desire greater government involvement in our lives, and those who believe government should maintain a limited role as envisioned by our founding fathers. available on amazon.com starting at $15.00

#6- Title of Liberty compiled by Mark A. Benson.
This book is a compilation of addresses given by Elder Ezra Taft Benson, put together by his son Mark. Ezra Taft Benson has been perhaps the most ardent, articulate, and enduring defender of our nation, and has raised the most urgent voice of warning about the threats to our freedom in the past century. Each individual address is inspiring in its own right. Having them pulled together to build upon one another paints an extraordinary picture.
available used on amazon.com starting at $22.99

#5- Common Sense by Glenn Beck.
All of the books on this list give great insight into the threats facing our nation, but this book does it in a way that few others do, because it views these threats through the lens of events unfolding around us today. Beck calls it a case against an out of control government, and that is precisely what it is. If you have had a feeling that what is going on in our country today just doesn't feel right, but you haven't been able to put your thumb on exactly why, or haven't been able to explain your misgivings well enough to explain out loud, this book helps pull it all together, using current events to tell the story. I can't even count the number of times while reading this book I had to set it down just to think for a minute about the implications of what I was reading. Its a quick read, but leaves you pondering quite a bit. available on amazon.com starting at $6.59

#4- The Great Prologue by Mark E. Peterson.
Elder Peterson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles has provided one of the best sources to view the destiny of America through past, present, and future events. As Latter Day Saints we know that America has a special destiny in God's plan, but seldom do we see it laid out so comprehensively in such a small book. It doesn't take long to read this book, but you will come away with a much deeper sense of why America is so special, and why we must give everything we have to preserve the freedom on this land. available on amazon.com starting at $2.99 used and $9.99 new


#3- The Making Of America by W. Cleon Skousen.

This book covers much of the same material as The 5,000 Year Leap, but is much more comprehensive. I found this book fascinating not only to read, but a great reference source when I have questions about the constitution. Skousen gives a very good condensed history of the revolution, the founding of the nation, our founding fathers, and the basic ideas and philosophies that gave rise to our constititution. It also provides a good introduction and overview of economics and the importance of a free market system. It then goes through every article and principle in the constitution, and explains what they mean.

#2- This Nation Shall Endure by Ezra Taft Benson.

I found this book to be tremendous. Again, it is not a long book, so can be read and digested without committing a lot of time. In this book Elder Benson lays out everything I have been thinking about and coming to beleive in a concise and articulate way. I have read no other book that is as good as this one in outlining the greatness of our country, the risks facing our country, and what must be done to preserve our nation and our liberty. The book was published in 1977, but every thing in the book is as relevant as if it were published last week. I am astounded at how spot on Elder Benson was about the dangers our nation faces and about what is happening in our country. If it was happening then, imagine how much larger these threats loom after three more decades of Satan's influence and societal deterioration. If you want to really get mentally into the struggle for freedom, this is the book to read.
available on amazon.com used starting at $44.99

#1- Prophets, Principles, and National Survival compiled by Jerrald L. Newquist.
This book is a compilation of statements and writings of latter day prophets and apostles regarding our nation, our freedoms, our constitution, and our responsibility to preserve our liberty. The book was published originally in 1964, so there aren't as many quotes from today's church leadership, but what is included from church leaders between 1830 and 1964 is breathtaking. After reading this book, there is no room left for doubt regarding the relationship between the Gospel and America as a land of liberty. This book contains the words of the prophets, we need to read and give heed. I have said, and continue to believe, that this book is the most important reading that members of the church can do, outside of the standard works and the words of the living prophets in the Ensign. I hope everyone will get a hold of this book and spend some time reading, pondering, and praying about the words of our latter day prophets and apostles.

Other titles from my freedom library that are worth reading include, in no particular order:
The Great and Abominable Church of the Devil by H. Verlan Andersen
The Red Carpet by Ezra Taft Benson
The Real George Washington by The National Center for Constitutional Studies,
Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg
Reagan Man of Principle by John Harmer
His Excellency George Washington by Joseph J. Ellis
None Dare Call It Conspiracy by Gary Allen
Godless: The Church of Liberalism by Anne Coulter
Culture Warrior by Bill O'Reilly
An Inconvenient Book by Glenn Beck
The Naked Communist by W. Cleon Skousen
The Real America by Glenn Beck
Let Freedom Ring by Sean Hannity

So there you go. These are the books that have consumed me over the past year or two. I know I've missed many. In fact, I've only scratched the surface. I haven't even touched on such important works as The Federalist Papers, the Constitution itself, the Declaration of Independence, The Law by Bastiat, and many others. Of course, regardless of any list made, no other book is as essential to understanding our nation, our freedoms, and the threats to liberty than the Book of Mormon. I've certainly gained a whole new perspective for what is taught in that most important of all books.

Now I'd love to hear what you think of these books, and what other books you have read that I need to get a hold of. Please respond and let us all know.

Thanks,
Richard

4 comments:

Eric Checketts said...

Thanks for this post. I have, sad to say, only read 2 or 3 of the books on that list. Though I am not consumed by fear as much as I was for the last several years (only because I feel the Lord has blessed me with an increase of courage), I feel an ever increasing sense of urgency to be involved in the discussion of freedom (not that it isn't already the only thing I talk about :-) ). I pray that the Lord may continue to guide us, and fill our mouths with the words that might bring light to the eyes of the millions who are walking in darkness.

Corine Moore said...

Thank you for sharing your list of books.

I too love to collect such books! This is a great list you have here! There is another that I used to have, and somehow lost before getting to read it - which really nags upon my mind. It is by Ezra Taft Benson, titled: The Proper Role of Government. If you know where to get it... pleeeease let me know! And if you are looking for anything in particular... I have a few and don't mind sharing (out of print... can be copied) let me know and I'll see if I have it!

Richard & Natalie said...

Funny you should mention the Proper Role of Government by Ezra Taft Benson. I've spent the last several hours addressing envelopes to congress. I'm sending a copy of the phamphlet to all members of the House and Senate along with a letter asking them to read it and return our government to the role our founders intended.

Go to www.properrole.blogspot.com for information about what we're sending to congress. It also has a video of Benson delivering the speech derived from the pamphlet, and a link to the full text. I also have a well formatted, printable version I can have email to you if you'd like.

Corine Moore said...

I'm impressed. You two are awesome... sort of what my husband and I hope to be like one day.

Please do send it to me; thank you!!! corine.miles@gmail.com - I am extremely anxious to recieve it! Thanks again!

PS Where did you get the pampthlet?

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Comments Here: